Jul 30, 2010

Don't be deceived by the apparent confidence of a novice writer. A first novel requires humility, refusal to be afraid, expectation of rejection and having to face the possibility that no one will buy the book. Writing a gripping novel requires years and months of blood, sweat and tears too. Authors like anyone else, need copious amounts of support and encouragement. Most especially when it's a debut novel!

Well, here I am again, on my soapbox and full of conviction about what I need to say. Bear with me, as I take you into the dark under belly of an author's world. Writing a book is not as easy as it seems.

Any author will tell you that many hard lessons come with the territory. Most are already broken and humbled by the amount of times they are rejected before managing to secure a publisher who is willing to print the book in question. That is just one aspect of the various mine fields that need to be skillfully navigated. There are also the bad reviews which are written from time to time. Trust me, I have had one or two cruel, uncalled for reviews of various chapters of my book, which left me reeling and full of self doubt and insecurity for weeks. One of them was on Fanstory, the writer's site where I post my work. Fortunately, you can report anyone who you feel is being unfair and the administrator removes a bad review if he agrees it's uncalled for. In my case, he did agree with me and fortunately, my work was redeemed. When something like that happens or when I receive a great review for a chapter, it puts me am on a high for months. Then it's all worth it.

Please understand that I don't claim to be anything but a novice writer. My vision for Crimson As The Sun is varied. I want to pay tribute to those who died in the Rhodesian war; educate others about the history of Rhodesia; derive enormous enjoyment through the writing of the book; bless others and ultimately glorify God through my story. I owe it all to Him. He gave me the talent, perseverence and passion to write. As I have said before, I am truly humbled everytime someone tells me they want to buy my book. It always amazes me!

I owe so much to my husband Kevin, he has been such a wonderful support throughout the process and I could not have done it without him. We spent many hours brain-storming the plot, debating character names, dialogue and character descriptions. Alot goes into ensuring they are plausible and not phoney. I think he is as relieved as I am that the book is finally finished.

Through my involvement with a writer's club, I have learnt so much about the writing world. 'Fanstory.com' is full of so many wonderful, encouraging and inspirational people. I have made many friends and learnt so much about what it is to be a authentic writer. One of my fans is Fred Collingwood, He is an accomplished, published author who writes thrillers. He has helped me to polish my writing in areas where I was blind to the faults. Another of my critics is eighty-one! She is a wonderful, talented writer who I admire greatly. Her invaluable advice and wisdom is gained through many years of writing. I have another critic who has stretched me and taught me to be thick-skinned. On occasion, I have felt torn down by her frank and honest appraisal of my work. But after spending a couple of days licking my wounds, I realised she was right and my fragile ego was preventing me from growing. Now, we are good friends and I always seek her opinion.

Now onto my children's book. Some of you know it's about a runt of the litter rat, called Nigel who lives in the squalor of the London Underground. On the tracks to be precise. He is small and has a deformed ear and as a result his brothers and sisters mock him. He is a dreamer (Joseph and his techni-colour dream coat theme here) and has a bright waistcoat (see picture at top right of my blog). He comes up with a cunning plan to save himself and his brothers from a terrifying fate. Without giving away too much, it ends with him becoming the unlikely hero.

I bounced it off Gabriella, my youngest six year old daughter for valuable feedback. She laughed at the drawings of Nigel and loved the story. So, based on the fact it received great reviews, won a competition and the kids love the illustrations, I am hoping it will be a success. I managed to secure the services of a brilliant young student who is busy finishing the drawings. If all goes well, I hope to publish 'Nigel' sometime in 2011. I pray this is the year it will all happen.

Until next time.

Janine x

No comments:

Post a Comment